Sunday, October 17, 2010

It took a week to recover, and now i'm ready to explain!


As of now, I have currently been home for about a week. And I am still exhausted. I seem to be on eastern time still and it is really starting to bother me. I would love to sleep past 8:30 at some point again in my life. It is hard for me to even stay up past 10:00. It took me about a week to have the motivation to update my final entry of my blog in the Dominican Republic. I have been extremely busy and tired this week trying to get caught up with old friends, unpack and unwind, and working out at the vineyard. I am so blessed to be home, but a part of the DR will always be in my heart. I cherish the friends and family I met there. I cannot wait to go back, but this time just to visit. And probably in Punta Cana since it is so beautiful there, Fiona will be there, and I can flush my own toilet paper and eat all the buffets that I want.

So for my last weekend in the DR. It was very eventful. I took my final test on Thursday and passed level four. I was so proud of myself. That meant that I got to go out and celebrate my final day at the school. That weekend there were also a lot of birthdays going on, so I knew that a ton of people would be out. It was Hennesey and Angel's birthday. So, thursday night, we decided to go out with my family. And of course, Fiona joined us since she is my family. I am not exactly sure where we went, but all I know is that ladies drank for free the whole night. The cosmos were not that strong, but Fiona and I had at least 5 or 6 before we decided to leave and go to SHOTS and meet up with some other friends. It was one of my last nights in town, of course I wanted to go to Shots. Thats where I started, and that is where I wanted to end up. Jean Michael and Emile were at Shots, so Victor dropped us off. Right away, since everyone knew it was my last weekend, a tremendous amount of shots were being bought for Fiona and I. As far as I can remember we had 4 or 5 double shots. We danced all night, and I almost threw up on the dance floor when a surprise red shot was bought for me and I took it not knowing it was half gin and half tabasco. Worst thing I had ever tasted in my life. This also was the end of me. After a night of great friends and crazy dancing, I was ready to head home. We stopped at a food stand for Nachos, and that was it. I don't remember anything else.


Fiona and I planned to lay by the pool the entire next day, but lets just say my last Friday in the DR was spent in my bedroom in bed. I slept until about 5 pm that day. I could not get out of bed. And of course, I  needed to prepare myself for my final night. I knew it was going to be crazy, we were going out with Stefano and his friends. And we were starting at Shots, and ending at Goal. Two of my favorite places. So of course, I finally make it out of bed to eat some dinner. My final meal at my house, and I had mac and cheese and plantains. It was fabulous. Fiona and I got ready together, had some singing and dance parties, and headed to the party. I knew it was going to be a good night. My sisters and all there friends were there. I could not have asked for a better crowd that night. I got to see everyone that I loved and say goodbye to them for a final time. It was bittersweet. I had a ton to drink, got in 2 fights, with a guy and a girl, and can only remember half the night. I would consider it a success. I would go into more detail, but a lot of it is a big blur. But I remember it being successful.

The next morning, after 3 hours of sleep since I got home at 5AM, I got picked up by Victor and taken to the airport. Saying goodbye to my family was so hard. I did not want to leave them. But I will visit, and I know it is only see you later. I got to the airport almost 3 hours early, and thank goodness for that because I ran into several problems. They couldn't figure out my ticket and I sat at check-in for almost 2 hours. I did not get to eat food and made it to my gate right as final boarding was being called. I was hung over and starving and had to get on a plane for over 4 hours to New York. I even ended up sitting next to a man with Turrets. It was the worst flight of my life. I was living off of peanuts and pretzels. When I arrived in NY, I was so excited to call from my iPhone and speak English to people around me! My layover was 3 hours long, then I hopped on another plane for almost 7 more hours. When I finally got into my parents arms in Portland, I couldn't even cry I was so exhausted. We got Taco Bell on the way home, and by that point, I was satisfied. I took a nice hot 20 minute shower and got into bed that night with a smile on my face. I think I woke up with that same smile. Right away, life fell back into the same pattern as I left. I am so happy to be home.

All in all, I think that this was one of the best experiences that I have had in life. I am so proud of myself for making the decision to go out and live in another country on my own for a couple months. It made me appreciate so many things in my life I never thought about before. I never appreciated flushing toilet paper, drinking tap water, or hopping in my car and just driving somewhere. I never even appreciated having my car until now. This trip has made me grow in so many ways, and I cannot wait to travel somewhere else again. As soon as I can get enough money. Now I just need a job so my parents don't have to support me anymore. Thank you everyone for your support this trip. I really enjoyed it, and also enjoyed keeping you all updated on my adventures. But really, it is great to be home! 
 So happy to be home!

No comments:

Post a Comment